Tuesday 26 November 2013

The Messiness Gene (or how my spice cabinet exploded)

I am part of a clan that clearly exhibits the characteristics of the TIDYNESS gene. Unfortunately, that gene must have met with significant resistance in me, because it was clearly overpowered by the “within-seconds-of-arriving-my-belongings-will-explode-across-the-room” gene. And no, putting things back where I found them is not an approach that actually works, that is just tedious.


This trait has found a new outlet since having to learn to cook meat, clearly manifesting itself in my spice "cupboard" (obviously not a cupboard, as the actual cupboard is full of nuts, seeds, nut flours and various other dubious "stuff"): 
The above comprises sea salt, rock salt, kelp, black pepper, chili, paprika, cumin, garlic, mustard, coriander seeds, caraway seeds, bay leaves, basil, oregano, thyme, sage, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, licorice, Chinese Five Spice, garam masala, saffron, turmeric, etc. (All nicely framed by jars of ghee, coconut oil, olive oil, vinegar, tamari and some forgotten Swedish alcoholic concoction from yesteryear's Christmas).
Unfortunately, my spice hoard is now such a mess that I often find myself with multiple bags of label-less leaves/pods/seeds/powders that I cannot identify. What may claim to be oregano on the label, is actually basil. And those brown powders in the glass jars are not interchangeable, unless the aim of the dish is to be extreeeemely Pan-Asian, as in inclusive of everything from Siberia to Malaysia. 
Conclusion: Although being paleo/primal is supposedly a way to alter gene expression, it is obviously powerless when faced with my messiness gene. Damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment