Wednesday 20 November 2013

Danish Paleo Bread

Going LCHF/paleo has been a gradual process for me. Bread was one of the last things to go. Giving up pasta, rice, sugar, potatoes and legumes was relatively easy after the initial head aches and tiredness during transition to a low carb diet. Bread though was more difficult. I used to bake amazing sourdough bread. You know, the artisan kind served in restaurants. So, initially I just upped the ratio of butter and toppings to bread. That worked fine, but then I read the book Wheat Belly and decided that the bread had to go, too.

Since then I have tried quite a few bread substitutes and recently I finally found something totally scrummy; the Danish version of paleo bread. It tastes like Danish rye bread. It is so good!

Soak the following in lots of cold water overnight:
100g walnuts
50g hazelnuts
50g brazil nuts
100g sunflower seeds
100g pumpkin seeds

Rinse and drain, then add:
50g chia seeds
150g linseeds
5 large eggs
100ml extra virgin olive oil
2tsp salt

Mix all well and pour into a bread tin (I put grease proof paper in so it doesn't stick). Bake in the oven for one hour at 160C and then let cool completely before cutting into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment