Friday 17 January 2014

Returning Home or "Borta Bra men Hemma Bäst"

While it is lovely to be away on holiday, there is also something special about coming back home with renewed energy. In Sweden we have the saying "borta bra men hemma bäst" (good to be away, but best to be at home), and I couldn't agree more. As always, my mind was on food long before we set foot in our flat: I sorted out our food delivery from Hong Kong international airport!

We left the fridge empty apart from some condiments, so I am almost starting from scratch in the kitchen. The first thing I did when we got home, was to get some stock going with the left over bones from the freezer. Next up was starting a fresh batch of sauerkraut. Then cooking some protein which can be used for either breakfasts and lunches. So far, I have steamed salmon fillets and roasted a chicken. Both will do really well with a salad or in a breakfast omelette.

Next on my list are burgers, liver pâté and mayonnaise. Can't wait!

Two day old sauerkraut bubbling away.

No comments:

Post a Comment