Thursday 10 September 2015

Bye-Bye Coffee and Achy Fingers

My love affair with coffee lasted for a fair number of years; from the first attempts at drinking coffee at university, to then loving iced coffee, cappuccinos and lattes, and finally drinking bulletproof coffees the last few years. Coffee had become a part of my everyday life and not something I would relinquish easily... Until I gave it up for my first nine days of yoga teacher training - not so much by choice, but due to lack of access to bulletproof coffee (why settle coffee with milk?).

Something interesting happened after four days without coffee: the pain in my right middle finger disappeared. I had put the pain down to an inevitable side effect of ageing, as Cecilia has had achy fingers for a while and our mother suffers from arthritis. I thought 'that's it, it's only downhill from here'. Turns out, the coffee was accelerating the arthritis in my body. I have now stayed off the coffee for four weeks and the pain has stayed at bay. I have even got Cecilia to reduce coffee intake and she has also noticed a correlation. Coincidence? I don't think so, but obviously, we are only a test group of two. I am definitely going to stay off coffee from now on, as my health is far more important to me than the taste of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment