Monday 7 April 2014

Portable Paleo Food

I have learned the hard way that suitable food is hard to come by when travelling. On a recent train journey, I had to resort to buying an egg mayonnaise sandwich and a pre-packaged, then microwaved burger. These finds were then raided for their content and the bread disposed of. Less than ideal, especially since I foolishly read about the meat content in the burger patty (less than 50%), but at least it meant that I survived all the way home.

Ahead of my flight to Sweden tomorrow, I have made some portable paleo friendly fare: bacon wrapped mini omelettes with leek and courgette.

Here's what I used for six:
4 eggs
2tbs creamed coconut (previously mixed with hot water to form a paste)
1/2 courgette, finely chopped
4 cm leek, finely chopped
7 pieces of streaky bacon
Salt and pepper
Ghee to grease the tin

Whisk eggs with creamed coconut, then mix in the leek and courgette. Add salt and pepper to taste. Grease the muffin tin and line with bacon. I used six pieces around the edges and cut up the seventh to go into the bottoms. Pour in the egg batter and bake in the oven for c. 20 minutes at 175 degrees.

This recipe can be varied endlessly, depending on what you have in the fridge. Sundried tomatoes and capers add extra flavour, fried mushrooms, onion and garlic is great too.

No comments:

Post a Comment